Thought I’d try a bit of studio product style shots using basic a fairly simple lighting set up with my new light kit. I loved using it and can’t wait to learn how to get the most out of them! It might be good to look up some more styling tips or tutorials, and I definitely need to invest in some reflectors as well as some form of background stand/product table, but I think this gets the idea across pretty well.
So, I know it’s been a while since I last posted. Some bad things have happened as well as a few good ones. All my University work is finished and handed in so I’m hoping to get focused over summer - get some shoots done, try more areas of photography & get my logo designed. I’m also hopefully going to be getting myself a new camera, upgrading from my current 450D to the 7D or maybe even the 7D mkII.
I’ve just treated myself to a Bowens Gemini 200 Studio flash kit which I’m VERY excited about! I haven’t had much of a chance to use it yet but above is a quick shot of a Peony flower from my experimenting earlier. I can’t wait to start using it properly so keep your eyes open to more work coming soon..
For week nine of my Design & Communication module. I wanted to do something simple, as well as choose something clear but not too obvious. I liked the idea of the sweet jar/classic sweets as it’s something which is around today, but is old fashioned in more of a traditional sense. When filling the canister I chose sweets that reflected this, like dolly mixtures, cola bottles, licorice all sorts, wine gums etc, then added the netting and ribbon to give the finishing touch and also to continue the old fashioned theme. I do like this image (though it appears a little dirtier on here) and think visually it links strongly with the ‘tiny’ image I produced previously.
For this week I chose to do something simple, and include something alongside the subject to give it a sense of scale. Because I kept the ideas within the image quite basic I used bright colours and patterns to stop it from being too plain. I also changed the colour of the wall behind from pale green to yellow to fit in better with this concept which I think works a lot better.
This is one of the shots I took during my first exploration of a truly abandoned building - something I’ve always been really interested in but never really had the courage to do. Though it was very tricky to get access to the main site as well as into the building I loved every minute of it and it was definitely worth it in the end.
For this image I wanted not only to show the coarse textures of the paint work, glass, wood etc, but also the general state of the building. I also really like ghostly effect of the leaves through the window which I enhanced slightly post production.
Photograph number six for my Design & Communication module. I think this does portray the word ‘healthy’ with the bright, fresh colours and emergence of new life, but it would have been nice to be a bit more creative. I used a narrow depth of field (f5.6) to highlight the flowers I wanted to be most noticeable which I think works well, but I feel that the composition of the bokeh could have been altered to enhance this more.
My image for week 5 of Design & communication. I wanted used a location which meant the subject could be alone, whilst showing what they were separated from. The idea behind the silhouette is to make the image less about the individual, and to reflect the concept as a whole and the feelings associated with being isolated.